Building Maintenance Technician
Classification: Nonexempt, Full-time
Salary Grade/Range: $17.00-$25.00/hour
Reports to: Property Manager
- Performs a variety of tasks involving strenuous manual labor; performs manual work.
- Performs minor or major repairs and scheduled preventative maintenance of commercial buildings.
- Maintains records of scheduled repair and maintenance procedures.
- Receives and responds to property manager for tenant reports of maintenance or mechanical issues on their premises.
- Communicates with property manager about any work that requires outside expert assistance.
- Maintains a clean job site: picks up all tools and equipment and secures job site each day to eliminate potential hazards.
- Performs materials handling and storage. Loads and unloads trucks and hauls and hoists materials.
- Works independently and possesses good time management skills.
- Ensures that proper safety and incident reporting procedures are followed. Brings problems to the attention of the property manager and/or HR manager.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to a variety of extreme conditions at building sites. The noise level in the work environment and job sites can be loud. The position regularly works near moving mechanical parts and in outside conditions that include inclement weather, heat and humidity, and exposure to dust and asphalt.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The position lifts heavy objects (minimum of 50 lbs), walks and stands for long periods of time and performs strenuous physical labor under adverse field conditions. The employee lifts, pushes, pulls or carries objects; uses abdominal and lower back muscles to provide support over time without fatigue; and effectively jumps, sprints or throws objects. The position requires good manual dexterity (hand, hand with arm, two hands) and multi-limb coordination. The position requires the ability to quickly move arms and legs. The employee must have excellent stamina. Employee must have the ability to climb heights and climb ladders.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., 40 hours per week.
Employee may occasionally be asked to change hours to 7:00 – 3:30 or put in overtime as approved.
Employee may be called in after hours for emergency calls.
- Possess a range of skills including Electrical/Mechanical/HVAC/Plumbing/Electrical/General Carpentry.
- Must be able to organize, plan, and prioritize jobs.
- Knowledge of commercial building/facilities & life safety systems/inspections.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- A high school diploma is beneficial although not required. High school classes in general shop, mechanical drawing, blueprint reading, physics and mathematics are helpful.
- Must have two valid forms of ID.
- Must be able to pass a random DRUG test.
- Must have the ability to understand and communicate effectively in English . Must be willing to follow directions and safety protocol.
- Must have good interpersonal skills and be able to effectively interact with tenants/public on a regular basis.
- Must be able to provide own transportation to and from work and report on a timely basis.
- Must have the ability to work with hand and power tools and have own basic tools to get started (i.e., tape measure, wrenches, hammers, screwdrivers, drill(s), etc.)
- Must have construction grade shoes – no sneakers. Gloves and safety gear will be provided. Prior construction experience is helpful but not required.
- Must be able to perform essential functions and meet physical demands of the position.
In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at Gal-Son Development, Inc. (The Company) will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. The Company does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of age, race, creed, color, sexual orientation, national origin, military status, gender, disability, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
This policy governs all aspects of employment, including selection, job assignment, compensation, discipline, termination, and access to benefits by law.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.