Description and Responsibilities
As a Buyer, you are responsible for purchasing materials, equipment, supplies and services considered standard/commodity items in accordance with purchasing regulations, procedures, project/bill of materials requirements and/or ad hoc requirements. Buyers purchase materials and/or services from current company blanket agreements as they exist, review and analyze purchase requisitions, identify additional sources of supplies, prepare routine bid specifications, issue quote and bid requests, review quotations, and act as a liaison between vendors and departments to interpret purchasing procedures. Other areas of responsibility include price negotiation, purchase order distribution and expedition, delivery acceptance and receipt, and planning with operations teams both in and out of the office.
• One or more of the following:
– Associate degree and three years of buying experience in a related field or
– Five years of buying experience in a related field or
– Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved
• Effective communication skills with peers and field personnel both verbally and in writing
• Proficient computer skills including MS Office suite of products
• Effective organizational and time management skills including the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
• Must be able to work in a schedule-driven environment where timing is a critical function
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
• Solid negotiation and problem solving skills
• Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
• Prior experience in the electrical industry preferred
Summary of Key Responsibilities
• Manage individual purchases that are transactional, tactical and commodity based.
• Work with Project Managers to determine quote list and provide final pricing once commodity items have been negotiated.
• Write and distribute RFQ’s for commodity items required for specific projects, which may or may not include utilizing existing company blanket agreements, review price quotes, negotiate favorable pricing and terms of the purchase, and make recommendations for awards.
• Negotiate and procure construction materials for multiple jobs in multiple locations.
• Ensure all materials are acquired at the lowest cost consistent with considerations of quality, reliability of source, and urgency of need.
• Issue purchase orders, verify vendor receipt and provide acknowledgment.
• Monitor lead times and shipments in order to meet delivery requirements.
• Review requisition and delivery receipts for accuracy and work with vendor to resolve discrepancies.
• Work with the vendors to resolve any purchase order, delivery or receipt issues.
• Discuss defective or unacceptable new goods or services with users, vendors, and others to determine cause of problem, and take corrective and preventative action.
• Manage freight claims and product return/credit process.
• Work with Accounts Payable Department to ensure accurate and timely payment of invoices, and work directly with vendors to resolve invoice disputes as necessary for the business with the supplier.
• Monitor supplier inventory levels in order to comply with ongoing stocking requirements of commodity items.
• Stay directly involved with obtaining and maintaining material certification, insurance certificates, confidentiality agreements, submittal packages, O&M documentation and other relevant company and/or project documents.
Submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com