The role of the Construction Assistant is to work in tandem with the Construction Manager in the execution of construction plans and coordination of building/construction activities in accordance with Habitat for Humanity Ontario County’s mission and standards of excellence.
WORK WEEK: Flexible schedule based on current production needs. Typically, Monday through Friday, with an occasional Saturday or Sunday as needed.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Prepare and apply for building permits. Coordinating between Habitat, architects and local building/code officials.
- Assist in budget preparation for construction projects (new construction, rehab, repairs, and ramps). This includes preparing takeoffs from blueprints, soliciting bids from suppliers and subcontractors, and developing cost estimates.
- Assist with grant applications and reporting. Coordinate with program staff to prepare and provide construction documents and information related to various grants (budgets, blueprints, permits, inspection reports, site information, etc.).
- Assist with scheduling and coordination of subcontractors and material deliveries.
- Prepare and distribute project status reports on a biweekly basis and more frequently as required.
- Organize and prepare invoices and receipts for review by the Construction Manager.
- Assist with development and tracking of project schedules and timelines.
- Serve as the staff liaison to the Site Selection Committee. Assisting both the Committee and Executive Director with due diligence related to potential property acquisitions.
- Assist with research and implementation of technology solutions to better coordinate construction efforts and improve overall project management.
- Research and keep apprised of in-kind opportunities and discounts available through HFHI and other sources to help maximize the impact of donor dollars related to construction expenses.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of construction materials and building methods. Prior work experience in the residential construction, preferred.
- Excellent written/verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Capable of building and maintaining strong relationships with people from all backgrounds.
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Documentation management and ability to use project management tools.
- Attention to details even under pressure.
- Time management skills with the ability to meet deadlines
- Reliable vehicle and willingness to travel throughout Ontario County.
- Basic computer skills (excel, word, outlook, etc.)
- Basic mathematical aptitude to calculate building measurements, quantities, etc.
- Flexibility regarding work schedule. Able to work weekends as requested.
- Understanding and enthusiasm for the mission of Habitat for Humanity.
- Self-starter, able to work independently and solve complex problems.
- Experience in a non-profit construction environment.
- Familiarity and passion for Habitat for Humanity’s mission and model.
Works in office environment and active residential construction sites, including outdoors and on the road, even during inclement weather, heat and humidity. Noise levels may be loud at times.
Physical requirements include being able to sit, walk and/or stand for prolonged periods of time. This position requires the ability to lift and carry at least 50 pounds, go up and down stairs. Must be able to frequently communicate in English (verbal), working as part of a team and supporting staff and volunteers.
HABITAT FOR HUMANITY OF ONTARIO COUNTY TEAM MEMBERS SHARE THE FOLLOWING CHARACTERISTICS:
- Passion for Habitat’s vision of a world where everyone has a decent place to live.
- Believe in a hand up, not a hand out for those working to better their future.
- Possess an “above and beyond” attitude – nobody here works just for a paycheck.
- Are creative problem solvers that work across teams.
- Embrace diversity and promote a culture of inclusion.
- Thrive on constructive feedback and have a high level of integrity.
To apply, please email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Construction Assistant” in the subject line.
- Cover letter
- Current resume
Applications will be accepted until position is filled. Candidates will be contacted for interviews on a rolling basis. No phone calls please.
Habitat for Humanity of Ontario County is committed to the policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. This policy expressly prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, genetic predisposition or carrier status, veteran status or status as a member of any other protected group or activity.