Line Maintenance Technician – Rochester, NY
Greenlight Networks is actively recruiting for a Line Maintenance Technician to join our growing in-house construction team at our headquarters in Rochester, NY. This position is critical to supporting our mission statement, “Delivering the Best Internet Experience”, responsible for hands on proactive repair of our fiber network and equipment ensuring Greenlight Networks is able to deliver and allow our customers the ability to enjoy New York State’s fastest internet – providing the ability the Freedom to Work, Play and Live without Limits.
Specific Job Functions Include:
- Read and accurately interpret system/network design maps. Verify as built documentation; compare findings in the field with existing documentation and report findings following local process. Install and replace physical plant network components such as GPON, XGSPON, POP, OFDC, pedestals, riser guards, conduit etc. Read and interpret equipment schematics
- As directed, complete end of line network testing to meet technical specifications; regularly test all network components using test equipment.
- Perform routine maintenance, troubleshoot and update records.
- Troubleshoot and repair basic distribution problems associated with networks.
- Communicate with NOC/Dispatch to update progress on escalated tickets
- Resolve system outages as directed
- Maintain accurate records including time worked, daily logs as required; properly record all required information on data devices and/or work orders, surveys, referrals, etc.
- Operate company vehicle in a safe and responsible manner. Clean, maintain stock and secure assigned vehicle and equipment, in accordance with company policies
- Adhere to company, industry, local, state and federal regulations and standards, as applicable
- Know, understand, and follow company policy
- Communicate with Inside Plant (ISP) personnel to optimize plant performance and confirm resolution of repairs
- May collaborate with construction personnel
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Basic understanding of FTTH (Fiber to the Home) networks; GPON/XGS-PON, customer premise network
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to interact professionally with co-workers, customers, and vendors through email, by phone and in person.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize and organize effectively
- Knowledge of basic mathematics and electronics
- Ability to climb poles safely using gaffs, hooks and climbing belt as needed and safely carry, climb, and operate extension ladders (approx. 32 ft high and 90 pounds)
- Work aloft and in close spaces up to 32ft on ladder, or hand climb utility poles using gaffs; work in basements, crawlspaces, utility closets, etc.
- Ability to differentiate between different sizes and colors of fibers and work with small components and fiber to make cable connections
- Must be able to stand, stoop, kneel or crouch for extended periods of time.
- Skilled in use of hand tools, test tools, web-based tools, and necessary computer equipment
- Ability to walk over all types of terrain in all kinds of weather while carrying tools and equipment, including gaffs, ladders, and fully loaded tool belts
- Willingness to work flexible schedules including on-call rotation, weekends, holidays, evenings, and overtime as required
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent work experience
- Valid driver’s license with satisfactory driving record within Company required standards
- Experience with Telecommunications Installation and fiber network installation and maintenance
- Experience splicing fiber, preferred
- Experience Climbing poles and ladders, preferred
- Experience with OTDR, Power Meter, VFL, and Fusion Machine, preferred
Apply online at our career page for immediate consideration https://www.greenlightnetworks.com/careerspage/